Monday, November 10, 2014

Yoga and the Thyroid

Today I want to share a mudra with you that activates the throat chakra. I have found use of this mudra recently due to a thyroid disorder I was just diagnosed with. 

I have a family history of thyroid issues. I have a goitre, which means my thyroid is enlarged. It is two-and-a-half times larger than a normal thyroid. I am also inbetween Graves Disease and Hashimotos Thyroiditis. Basically, a person can either be hyperthyroid or hypo but I am going back and forth between the two of them. 

Your thyroid is like the traffic cop of your entire body. Dealing with these issues has made me feel like someone has stripped me of all my energy. I've been so emotional and anxious! It's not very fun to be so irritable like this all of the time. When you don't feel yourself, it affects all aspects of your life. I am sharing this with you in hopes that it will help you if you are struggling with a similar situation and overall inspire you to live the healthiest life possible.

Mudras are hand gestures that help control the energy channels of your body. Granthita Mudra (Knot Mudra) opens your vocal cord entry and balances your thyroid gland. 




  • Start by interlacing your fingers.
  • Your thumb and pointer finger on both hands are touching (like in Gyan Mudra).
  • Pull on your hands as you keep the fingers together so you are experiencing a resistance-type feeling on the hands. 
  • Hold this mudra up to your throat.
  • Meditate on your throat center for at least five minutes.
  • Breathe and relax as your self-healing takes place.





I hope you find this useful! Namaste :)

2 comments:

  1. FYI, The average size of the thyroid is 7.5 cu cm (ml) for adult female with upper limit of 18 cu cm.
    In the past a mild goiter was considered a sign of beauty and fertility!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI, The average size of the thyroid is 7.5 cu cm (ml) for adult female with upper limit of 18 cu cm.
    In the past a mild goiter was considered a sign of beauty and fertility!

    ReplyDelete